I stumbled across this amazing recipe for cinnamon rolls and the dough comes out perfectly light and fluffy every single time! I have never used another recipe since. Another plus point about this recipe is that you can leave the egg out totally, and voila! You have a vegan friendly cinnamon bun! It takes at least one and a half hours to make, but it is totally worth the wait.
Ingredients for the dough:
- 2 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 teaspoon yeast
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
1. Set aside 1/2 cup flour. In large bowl, toss the remaining flour, sugar, salt and yeast together until evenly combined. Set aside.
2. Heat water, milk and butter together in the microwave until butter is melted and mixture is hot to the touch. (Tip: I know it’s the right temperature when I dip my finger in and have to wait one second before I feel the heat, and even then it should only be slightly hotter than lukewarm water. This warm mixture will help the yeast activate, causing it to produce carbon dioxide which helps our dough to rise – SCIENCE!!)
3. Stir the egg and butter mixture into the flour mixture.
4. On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough for about 5-6 minutes
5. Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl and let it rest for about 10 minutes.
Ingredients for the filling:
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
1. After 10 minutes, roll the dough out into a roughly 14 x 8 inch rectangle. It doesn’t have to be perfect, this is home cooking after all!
2. Spread the softened butter on top. Mix the sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkle all over the dough. You can toggle the amount of cinnamon/sugar to your preference.
3. Roll up the dough tightly, and cut into 11 pieces. Place it in a lightly greased pan/dish. Loosely cover the rolls with a damp, lint-free towel and leave to rise in a warm, draft-free place for 60-90 minutes. (The best place is your oven – you can preheat it to 200 Fahrenheit/90 degrees Celsius, then switch it off. Place your rolls inside and it will rise faster than if you didn’t preheat the oven at all.)
4. After your rolls have doubled in size, preheat your oven to 375 Fahrenheit/190 degrees Celsius. Bake for 25-30 minutes until lightly browned. Cover your rolls with aluminium foil after 15 minutes to avoid heavy browning.
Ingredients for the glaze:
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 tablespoons strong coffee (you can substitute it with milk/cream)
Mix all the ingredients together until smooth and drizzle over the rolls. (Tip: If you want thicker icing, add more icing sugar. If you want your icing more runny, add more milk! If you want to cut down on the sweetness, you can add in a pinch of salt as well.)
Mmmm~ Delicious cinnamon rolls! Scoff with a cup of coffee for breakfast or tea. Enjoy!